A day I'll never forget

The day is finally here: my first day of high school. I’ve been waiting for this day for as long as I can remember- the day I finally become one of the big kids. I’m finally top dog and nothing will be able to stop me now.

I walk through the big double doors and step foot into the halls that will determine the next four years of my life. I’ve done my research, I know what’s in and what’s out and who’s cool and who’s not. Weeks of extensively stalking people’s social media has prepared me for the task ahead: finding a group to roll with. Who I associate myself with on the first day of freshman year will forever impact the rest of my high school career. It will make or break me.

Photo credits by Free from Wix

But no amount of research could have prepared me for the scene I walked into. Couples were displaying extensive PDA, a group of seniors were ganging up on a freshmen and a group of junior girls were sitting on the lunch table carefully applying makeup. This was not the kind of environment I expected to walk in on and it all went downhill from there.

As the bell rang for the start of first period, I found myself running up and down the halls with hot tears boiling in my eyes… I can’t find my classroom and I’m already late to my first class of high school. I had asked a group of seniors for directions but they conveniently led me to the wrong side of the school. I’m running down the stairs desperately trying to find my classroom as I trip, and all my papers spill across the floor. I end up spending the rest of first period crying in the bathroom.

I drag myself off the floor as the second period bell rings and I dreadfully leave the bathroom. As I step out I’m immediately lost in a sea of people who are all more than a head taller than me. I get pushed around as we move by inches trying to make it down the hall. The smell that reached my nose is unbearable and I had to hold my breath all the way to the classroom… which I actually found this time!

I walk in as the final bell rings, and I feel all eyes on me as I shuffle to my seat. The teachers give me the side eye as I take my seat and pull out my notebook. He then proceeds to go on a 50 minute ramble over whatever it was that he was talking about. I watch the clock and countdown the minutes until it’s over.

This happened seven more times as I go to each class. Finally the bell rings signaling the end of the day and return to safe haven. I crawl my way home with my backpack making it feel like my neck was going to come off from all the homework. I put it all off for the next day at school and peacefully take a nap.

High school was not what I expected, nobody was dancing and singing on tables and nobody cared what you did. Round two comes tomorrow.


Print Editions

Online Editions